Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Aussie has a blog for her time in Yankeeland

Finally, at long last, after chucking a serious "I can't do it, I give up" tanty at midnight before departing Australia, having limited [expensive] access to the internet at my first-night 3 Star hotel and now eventually settling in at my Specialty Lodging (i.e. dodgy) hostel with free Wi-Fi, I have completed the building of my own personal blogspot.

Despite the room service, private space, personal bathroom and several other luxuries, which do you think is coming out on top? That's right, of course a geek like me would rate free unlimited internet access over having a bellboy carry my [hefty] luggage!

As many of you know, I had some bugs in the HTML code (i.e. web page geek script stuff that controls the look and feel of a webpage) and couldn't for the life of my find and amend them. I had been altering a custom blog template downloaded at a proper template site but it failed me enormously. I don't pretend to be a web designer so I figured the failing was mine and hence my reason for not giving up until the midnight hour (literally).

Well, it turns out I'm not a major failure after all. Once I finally pulled out my laptop and got connected to the network here at the hostel after a long day out and about picking up necessities (damn 100ml carry-on limit!), I put my keen and penetrating amateur HTML skills to the test and came up trumps: using the basic Blogger code from one of their standard layouts and amending some rather tricky bits and pieces....

Voila! Here you have it: AUSSIE IN YANKEELAND!

Only a select few knew the name and concept of the blog, mainly because the tardiness of my self-imposed one-week-before-I-leave deadline got the better of my patience and I just HAD to blab to some people other than my sister who'd known for ages and my faux-mum Debbie who just thinks everything I do is spectacular.

So please check back REAL soon. Now that I have the hard yakka of the blog building itself done, it's just about to tick over midnight here in Hollywood and I've gotta be bright and sparky, front and centre for the departure of my "LA City Tour" shuttle in the mornin'.

Ooh, one final note. To calculate what my time is: add 7 hours and minus a day.

e.g. Sydney is currently 4.57pm on Tuesday 2 June. Add 7 hours and step back one day and it's 11:57pm on Monday 1 June.

Got it? Good.

Check back ASAP to hear about everything from my delayed flight to Soap Opera Conventions to my Hollywood hike (and no, there are no bush tracks in Tinseltown).

P.S. It's officially after midnight and this place is STILL hoppin'! I just heard something break and a group of people laugh.... TAXI!

5 comments:

Locksmith said...

Woot!!! Awesometown blog spot, well done!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! It's here. Looks great. Love the techy linky things to the accommodation. Might send it to my friend Hong Dang to use on her site. Make sure you include bits about your travelling and dorm companions on your next post. Jen xxx
Dang it!!! Lochie beat me!

Nicole Thompson said...

Oh you're in trouble now... my sister was first but I took too long to change the Comment settings so she couldn't get in before you coz she doesn't have a sign-in.

You're gonna get double-flogged now! ;) LOL.

Oh! And thanks :) :) :)

FYI: Everyone can comment now, my sister brought it to my attention that my settings only allowed people with various memberships to comment (i.e. Google, LiveJournal, Wordpress, etc).

So I've now change the setting to "Anyone" :)

Unknown said...

Well the non-tech person here its just taken me about 5 mins to work out how to post comments. Can you add spell check to that as well?

Glade to hear you arrived safe and sound, sorry should have warned you about the 100ml.

Enjoy and take care
Ness

Deb said...

Hidiho, all looks and sounds great, you must be having a great time coz it's now mmm about 8pm and still no update LOL, sorry am i being a tad impatient......you're digs look pretty cool :) Luv ya Beb

Post a Comment